Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Cleaning for Company

I tidied up prior to a play date at my house this morning. I was more worried about having the house clean for the play date than I did for my own family, which when you think about it, is bizarre. My family is the one that is in the home more than anyone so why shouldn't it be the cleanest for them?  On second thought, I realized this is most definitely a learned behavior passed down by my Mom. When we were growing up she was classic for cleaning prior to the painter or plumber coming over. Keep in mind, our home was always clean but there was extra special cleaning done before any worker entered our home.
Most of us put on a certain pretense for people outside our immediate family. Example: Make-up on prior to doing any errands outside the home etc. I’m not necessarily suggesting we change these habits; we should put our best feet forward as much as possible. At the same time we should examine whether our families are getting equal treatment; the best of us. What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. This post really hits home with me!

    I really struggle with this. Like you, I will clean SO much more when I have strangers coming into my home than I do for my own family. Why do I care? Do they even notice that I washed the baseboards? Probably not.

    In addition, I find myself telling my kids that I have to clean -fill in the blank- when they are asking me to play a game with them or read them a book. That is just plain wrong. I think I need to re-evaluate my priorities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to both posts!

    I am cleaning frantically now for a family visit. I spent my entire Sunday of "family time" cleaning. It is really sad. I needed to be with my kids. What am I thinking? My priorities are a little off right now.

    I do believe this is a learned trait. Now I feel I need to stop the cycle and not torture my children with this passed down behavior. I think I'll just sit back and play the rest of the day with them. Maybe we will just blow the dust bunnies around the house! Or see who can catch the biggest one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for Sharing! Cleaning for family can be stressful! I find that if I plan my 'family is coming to town' cleanings over a weeks time I'm not too crazed by the time they arrive.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - it's appreciated!