Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Daily At-Home Report

I now work very part-time from home while raising our 1 year old daughter. It’s wonderful to be home with her and we are connecting much more as a result.
In addition to the joy of being with my daughter more, staying home has created a new behavior in me; I feel compelled to tell my husband all I did around the house each day.  Example, after my husband has been home for 5 minutes I announce, “Today I mopped the floor and did 3 loads of laundry.”
I don't believe I’m looking for an ‘atta boy’ but rather don’t want him thinking that I’m at home eating the proverbial bon bon all day. We’ve laughed about my subordinate style behavior and I’ve threatened to start typing up daily reports for his files. He just chuckles at the suggestion.
Like traditional careers where people are held accountable, no one is here working with me on projects or telling me I did a good job. As a result, my need to report on the daily tasks helps keep me on track. Besides, where would we be without accountability, right?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    So glad I'm not the only one! I also stay at home with our children. I have to fight the urge to immediately give my husband the run-down of all I have acomplished in my day. We have also joked that I should recieve a quarterly review...

    Anonymous, thank you for your post. I really like the quarterly review idea and you could take it even further with an annual review. You could review his performance as well...could be quite interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking about this post for a while now... I have realized that I leave my 'to-do' list taped to the cupboard fir all to see. I feel such satisfaction in crossing things off. But even more satisfaction when my husband sees the things checked off the list!
    How passive-agressive of me, huh??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment! Generally speaking, husbands do need to be reminded of all that is done around the house, whether you are a working parent or not. Your list sounds like it works for your family. Does your list include a 'to do' for date night?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - it's appreciated!