Friday, March 26, 2010

Roads of Opportunity

Recently I was asked to review applications for a scholarship program that highlights women who support their families, have overcome significant obstacles in their lives and are pursuing a degree. Their stories are filled with courage, persistence and redemption. Many of these women made decisions that created adverse circumstances in their lives; teen pregnancy, drugs, bad relationships etc. With all this, they were able to rise from these situations because they wanted a better life for themselves and their families.
I’m a sucker for ‘before and after stories’ and in reading their stories they all had turning points that drove them to want to be better. So why do some of us take advantage of these turning point opportunities while others do not? These women decided that life is full of opportunity not circumstance. This realization probably saved many of their lives and they are now becoming models in their community. 
So again, what makes some of us 'martyrs' and others 'overcomers'? What was a turning point in your life and why did you take advantage of the opportunity at that point time?

1 comment:

  1. So glad I'm not the only one! I also stay at home with our children. I have to fight the urge to immediately give my husband the run-down of all I have acomplished in my day. We have also joked that I should recieve a quarterly review...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - it's appreciated!