Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The M Word.

What makes some married couples stay together while others fall off a cliff? Marriage is a perplexing unity that so many of us enter. Sadly only 40-50% of us will stay together - yikes, those are Vegas odds! What’s equally unnerving is that a couple may be blissfully happy one year and appear to be on the verge of divorce the next. I always look at those situations and ask who gave up on whom? My parents divorced when I was 11 and it was a good thing. That said, I don’t want divorce for myself. My husband is a good man, friend and father and while we have our occasional differences, we are solid. I know one very happy couple who’s been married 40+ years and they continually work on their marriage. They don’t take each other for granted and are consistently looking for ways to communicate and appreciate each other better. There is no doubt marriage is a complicated relationship full of ups and downs. No one ever said it was going to be easy, but for me, it’s worth it. So, what do you think, what makes a good marriage last?  (please note this was written before the Gore divorce announcement)

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for your kind words about Little Chick and me getting better. I have my leg up right now. I think there are so many things needed to build a healthy relationship. Two very important things are honesty and respect. Have a great day!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughing! Making jokes out of little issues...or trying to joke about it. And being your husband's best friend and always having his best interest at heart (and vice versa).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marriage is really hard work, but so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time together alone! I think trying to do a date night at least once a month is super important. That, and making time to sit and talk to each other every day.

    Following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting blog! I'm really looking forward to reading more. Your choice of music is great too. =0) Smiles! I'm following you from MBC & I'd love to have you follow me when you have a moment or two. Tina "The Book Lady" www.familyliteracyandyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - it's appreciated!