Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Turning Up The Heat

When I’m out in public with my little one, I’m pretty sure every store/restaurant turns the air conditioning off once we enter. My daughter has definitely hit the ‘mini-tantrum/wax in ears/never sit still’ stage which results in less than relaxing public outings for dear old Mom. Almost immediately I’ll start sweating and the more volatile she is, more significant the sweat bead colony. I’m sure nearly half of my ‘sweaty’ anxiety is from holding her or trying to hold her while she flails her body to and from. The other half is from the fear that I don’t want her to completely fall apart and start raising holy heck in public. So I’ve resigned myself to wiping my brow and drinking ice cold water to keep the sweats away. If there are any store owners or managers reading this, if you see us approach your place of business, do all of us a favor and turn the air conditioning down, waaaay down please. So fellow Mom’s, does this happen to you and if so any cures?

5 comments:

  1. I do this too! I HATE when I feel like all eyes are on me and every thought is assessing my parenting skills...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This could be true. I believe that as moms, we are automatically covered with a GIANT bullseye for anything awkward, painful, annoying, or humiliating. I have no solutions, other than what I did when I was 9 months pregnant with my 2nd boy: The subway was without AC in August, and I ran over to a magazine stand and stuck my head in the soda cooler. It worked. Try that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I understand correctly...do the stores/restaurants turn their AC up or off for you? When I took my kids to a frozen yogurt place, they automatically turned the AC up even though it wasn't that hot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well we have had it both ways. Hot and cold, but both extreme. When we go grocery shopping it is always freezing! I have to take a sweatshirt for my daughter. She still complains about her legs being cold and her feet because we have been in shorts and sandals lately. Now yesterday, we went to get a slice of pizza and the place was super hot! We stood waiting for about five minutes and we left for an air conditioned place instead. Yikes! No music on my blog. Maybe soon! :)

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you just feel like every person in the store is staring at you?! Oh, I remember those days! Occasionally, we still have our moments but the 2's and 3's seemed to be the worst. It might be that you can't reason with a 2 year old but at least now at 4 years old I can reason.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - it's appreciated!