Wednesday, June 30, 2010

What About The Kids?

Generally my posts are not political however after viewing a commercial I have to make my opinion known. For two years I worked in Development at a nonprofit for abused children. The stories of the children were heartbreaking and inconceivable. We struggled to get media coverage because quite frankly people didn’t want to hear about all the neighborhood children being abused.
The commercial I viewed came from the ASPCA. The piece did a good job educating the audience about all the animals who are beaten and neglected and how people can help. I like animals and they should not be treated poorly.
My frustration stems from the simple fact that more attention seems to be paid to help abused animals than helping abused children. Both need our help. However I have no doubt there is more media coverage of animal abuse than child abuse.
With every death row inmate reporting that they grew up in a violent, abusive environment, why do so many turn a blind eye to one of the ugliest problems of human kind?

7 comments:

  1. I agree with you here. More dollars are spent to push animal rights than humans. It's an odd way to channel compassion. Maybe the truth of child abuse is too much for the media to cover, maybe there's too much red tape and hardened hearts, so they turn to something less directed at humans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness TV! I worked in the inner city school system and heard things that made my stomach turn. I wanted to help everyone! It is sad and so difficult! This is an important post.

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel this way about alot of things - I often question whether I'm the crazy one for thinking this way. It just seems like our society's priorities are upside down at times. Like

    Why do teachers get paid so little compared to pro athletes?

    Why the emphasis on what kids wear on their bodies rather than what goes inside of them?

    More money on prisons rather than school?

    Maybe there are answers to these questions, but I havent found any that make sense to me.

    I feel you on this, I definitely do...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a post!!

    I whole heartedly agree. Glad that you were able to state your point in such a short manner which goes to show that it doesnt take much to make a very important point....it breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey TV,
    Thank you so much for your comment about yesterda's post! I really appreciate it. It took a lot for me to do, but I am happy I spoke up. You know I love your blog also and really like what you bring out in your posts. It really gets people thinking and that is really great! I have worked hard on this blog, and I am starting a network believe it or not very soon. I have been working on that as well. I want to be able to feature a lot of the great blogs I have gotten to know! You are one of the blogs I will be featuring! Thank you again TV! It means a lot to me!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there again, your blog posts are wonderfully thought-provoking. I gave your blog an award, come check it out! http://jinnialow.com/cherry-on-top-friday

    Have a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for showing my cousins site some love! I'll definitely pass along the recipe when I get it. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - it's appreciated!