Saturday, April 30, 2011

Hypocrisy

Live truth instead of professing it. ~Elbert Hubbard

When you write about virtues, being a human, relationships and communication it gets a little dangerous.  I’ve never professed to be all knowing nor virtuous.  I own up to questioning myself as much as I question others. 

I am troubled by hypocrisy though.  I dislike it, quite a bit actually, both in others and in myself.  Luckily there are degrees of hypocrisy that help free us from the depths of peril.  I tend to dip my toe in the ‘being human’ element of hypocrisy; you know the one where we make mistakes, fall back into old habits.  My life has been filled with teachable moments and it’s important to use those to be better.   Sometimes I succeed and other times I fail. 

Let’s face it most of us are a little hypocritical.  We are after all, just human. 

Where do you sit on the topic? 

10 comments:

  1. I can be hypocritical sometimes. I really try not to be. I may think a certain way about things, but fall into old habits.

    But it is one quality I really hate in others (and myself, if I do it.)

    Thanks for all of the encouraging words! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus didn't care much for hypocrisy either.

    Matthew 15:7-9

    You hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy of you, when he said: “‘This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’”

    God bless you and your family.
    Have a great weekend :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for a thought provoking post.
    Yes, we can all be a bit hipocritical, but I have learned how practicing what I preach, has actually made a positive difference in my life and those around me.

    KLV is absolutely adorable:)

    Madison

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think one of the worst are the hypocrites who are not even aware of their hypocrisy. I think that's dangerous. Maybe there should be a 'I'm sorry if I've been a hypocrite' apology day so that we all just do a blanket apology for those days when we were not aware? That would absolve some of us...somehow, hehehe....Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, I think we all do it...whether we mean to or not. sad but true. I think to imagine "walking a mile in their shoes" and I think I do that most of the time, but I have my moments just like any other human being :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Constant struggle. The cure: confession. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes...what's the expression? "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones..." I try not to cast judgements about others, especially when I make the same mistakes too. I know it's easy to do, but I'm really trying to be a kinder, gentler person for myself and as a role model to my little boy. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we can all be hypocritical. I don't like it when hypocrites call others hypocrites. So ironic, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you here. I can be hypocritical sometimes and hopefully I catch myself before offending others. Like you said, old habits have a way of slipping back in and we just have to push forward as much as we can. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh, so hard to look in the mirror some days. I think this hat fits on all of our heads, same as being judgemental...it comes with being human.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - it's appreciated!