Friday, September 30, 2011

Twisting Someone's Words 4 Their Benefit

During a weekend with friends, one of the husbands said to me in private, “Hey can you get my wife off my back?”  I smiled politely, said nothing and joined his wife outside.  I told her, “Your husband just told me how much he loves you.”  She said, “Ha!”  I proceeded to tell her how fondly he talks about her when she is not around (true story).  I then told her that while she may not hear it from him directly, some of the best compliments are the ones we don't know are being said about us.

Needless to say she was fairly tickled that her husband would talk so favorable about her; behind her back.

Do you think its okay to twist someone’s words – when it’s positive – or do you think you should remain quiet or is honesty the best policy?

8 comments:

  1. Whoa. You handled that with massive class. I am certainly not sure what I would have done.... hmmm.. food for thought. Great lesson to have shared!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just letting you know that I stopped by your blog today from the 'In The Nestwork' site.

    Have a nice weekend mate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One, you're awesome. Two, I don't get why she would be pissed. I would be flattered if M talked favorably about me behind my back...shouldn't she be flattered? Not ticked?

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHA. Wow totally didn't realize that I misread that one. I'm not altogether with it today...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think honesty is best! I mean, if my husband said something positive about me to someone else, I would love to know about it. I just would want it to be true!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who doesn't like to hear that people were saying something positive? It always brings a smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The way I see it, good friends should want to see their friends happy. A compliment can go a long way, even if it is a little "slanted" or "twisted".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you're amazing for doing that. That was quick thinking and it was such a thoughtful decision! You're friend is fortunate to have you. As for honesty, this is a tough question. To me it's all very relative. Suffice it to say that I'm not a believer in an 'honest-all-the-time' policy. I think it's too simplistic.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - it's appreciated!