Thursday, January 26, 2012

Tear Me Down to Build Me Up

Why is it that most of us have to go through a really really tough experience to come out better?  Sure there are exceptions but for me – the toughest of times were also the most defining, the most meaningful and the ones where I grew the most. 

When my parents divorced (age 10) – I knew it was a good thing and also realized life is not easy, move on.

When my brother died – I grew up.

When my husband went through extreme job stress – he grew so much.

When I got into a tiff last year with a good friend – the outcome was her becoming one of my best friends.

Perhaps it’s the way you look at these situations but as I plot along through life I know things can change without notice. 

I have to smile a little as I look back on some of the yuck I’ve been through, because it served it’s purpose. 

Do you grow the most during the toughest of times? 

11 comments:

  1. Pain tests us, no question. And makes us stronger people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture in the header! You look great my friend! I think that if everything was easy all the time we would not appreciate the great things as much. I know for myself that the tougher times have really taught me a lot and helped me to grow. It is these times that also help make us more empathetic human beings. I hope you are well. have a great day!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, the tough stuff makes us grow and helps us appreciate all the good. It's the hard lessons that we have the most to gain from. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have to agree with you. It seems that we have to through these times to enable us to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. I think I grew the most during the toughest of times, but only because I allowed myself A LOT of time for introspection (as I'm sure you did yourself). Btw, I love the new look of your site!! Lovely photo TV!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, I think we all grow stronger through the tough times :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely agree that I have grown my socks off over the past several years with the hardships our family has gone through and I think it is nice to look back when things have passed and to be able to see what that trial taught us. I do also know people who genuinely seem to have a difficult time learning from anything and they often repeat the same harmful patterns as a result. I guess it depends on the person and the outlook:). Have a great weekend TV!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Life really is how we respond to it. Life happens, it just does. We then have to make choices. In other words...yes those tougher times remind us who we are or who we'd like to be. We change, we grow and we smile at the other end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Audrey. It's 100% how you respond to it because I would make the strong statement that NOT EVERYONE grows from it. It's amazing how I've met people who have gone through similar situations and yet, there they are still stuck in the mud... Does that make sense? I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, and if you have to go through the yuck, there's a reason. And I know I've grown and become better because of those situations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear God am I hoping this is the truth for me! I do think that in order to change things have to change..and sometimes that means less than desireable circumstances in order to bring about the change needed to be happier, healthier, more successful. I'm so hoping this is my reflection too...5 years from now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - it's appreciated!