Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Realization About My Age vs Shopping

I’ve come to the realization I can’t shop in certain stores anymore because I am of a certain age.  It’s true.  Stores like Forever 21 and the junior section at Macys are just too young. Truthfully I have not shopped in these stores since my mid 20’s but now that I’m in my mid 30’s+, there is almost this invisible line that says 'your not young enough to shop here'.  I mean the girls working in these stores could theoretically be my daughters. 

For the record I’m happy to shop at J. Crew, Anthro and Banana but the line about crossing into the Junior stores has been drawn. And hey, if I get an urge to cross over into one of the Junior stores I’ll just shop their jewelry.

Has your taste or shopping freedoms changed with age? 

8 comments:

  1. Interesting perspective... I hadn't thought about how shopping in different stores/sections would change with age. I think my taste in clothing has definitely changed since high school and college. I'm still a little prepette, but I choose more practical clothing now. Hope you had a good weekend, TV!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know sometimes it is hard to find clothes that are too old lady and those that aren't too young. Now that I'm a SAHM I find it hard to figure out what casual clothes to wear! It was easier when I was was shopping for work clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the hardest time figuring out where to shop for clothes! My style has changed but so has my body. I definitely beyond the juniors department though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yes...i feel MUCH too old for a lot of stores, and that makes me sad. ha! i remember feeling odd trying on the miss me jeans, but not sure why because many women my age are wearing them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMgoodness, yes! It's soo hard. Plus I am past the, "Oh I want to wear that, but it would look too young." I am now at the "That looks ridiculous" stage. When did that happen? I just turned 39, and my tastes are slowly evolving - it's an interesting process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At this stage I don't even like shopping anymore...which is funny because when I was in my 20's I shopped every chance I got LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Listen, I can't lie. I still peruse some junior sections. They have some cute stuff! Of course I wouldn't be...inappropriate. Not me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha. I am so with you! I feel so silly going into stores like Hollister or Abercrombie...Part of maturing is knowing when to say when, right? Although, accessories, leggings, etc...whereever you get the best deal is where you should buy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - it's appreciated!