Thursday, April 12, 2012

Selfishly Trying To Get Healthy?

Don’t let my post title fool you; I am not a health nut and my body will never be on the cover of a Health Magazine but I try.  That usually means going to the gym 2 times a week.  Not too much right?  However I have guilt about working out.  Yes, Yes I know one should feel guilty about NOT working out (of course I have guilt for that too).  Oddly I have guilt about leaving the husband and child while I go to my weekly classes – aka doing something for me.  My husband never makes me feel guilty and KLV well let’s just say she cries when I leave. My mind brings on this feeling as I see my husband working a ton and then off I go with my pilates mat in tow. 

My rational mind knows that it’s okay to do things just for me, particularly if they are healthy.  I set the mood for the household; if I’m healthy and happy then my family is too.  However my illogical mind isn’t too smart and thinks I'm being selfish. Perhaps there is a workout class that helps burn fat and guilt!

Anyone else have utterly pointless guilt like this? 

10 comments:

  1. I get this! Anytime I have plans and leave the kiddo with Daddy I feel so guilty and rush through whatever activity it is. Is it just in our mom dna?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate leaving the kids too, but when I do I'm glad I got that break. Exercise keeps me from going crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally with you two, and I rush through too, which probably isn't that effective. I had a consultation with a trainer, thinking maybe that'll help to have some supports, and as I talked with him, he highlighted that we have to take care of ourselves. And I gathered from it all that it's a matter of priorities and balance -- we should allow ourselves time and opportunities for the things that are good for our lives!

    Best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot say I suffer from this kind of guilt, I definitely think that comes from being a mother. However, I can provide a list of a half a dozen other things I feel super guilty about. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this is a hard one and we all struggle with it often. HOWEVER, I believe we must have "me" time and working out/exercise is the perfect time! You are staying healthy for your family, your husband and your child. nothing selfish about that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I sooo understand this feeling. Last week I made plans to go walking with my friend Tracy. In the past, Lewie came with me, but now that he's older and doesn't want to sit in a stroller, I had to leave him and my husband behind. This week I was invited to attend a jewelry dem. Since I still have guilt left over from last weekend, I turned down the invitation... Why do moms have so much guilt? My husband doesn't seem to have half the guilt that I have, and he makes time for himself all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah the guilt! Mommys have a way of doing this quite often. I have it when I am doing housework, but would rather do something meaningful with my daughter. I had it with exercise also and waited until my daughter was in school to be able to workout again. I was an athlete all my life. I know it is hard to do something for "ourselves" when e want to give to our families. But it is important that we stay healthy "for" our families. Have a great day TV!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exercise keeps me sane, mentally literally. I notice a huge dip in my mood when I'm not exercising on a regular basis, and my mood tends to rub off on M's so technically, it helps for me to do something for me, including exercise. You're not being selfish, nor should you feel guilty. But that's easier said than done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes, I have had utterly pointless guilt with one particular thing I've been trying to beat and saw improvement in some ways but the change was not long-lasting. Then I got to the root of why I felt that way. It took a bit of "working out" my brain subconsciously and I'm happy to say it's helping me move forward with a lot less stress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely! I have two spa certificates I have yet to use because I hate to leave Lily on the weekends. Since I work full time I feel like the weekends are extra precious! I do need to use them before they expire :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - it's appreciated!