Saturday, May 5, 2012

It Happened Again

If you’ve followed me for a while you’ll remember this story.  It happened again. 

This time KLV and I were at the doctor’s office.  As she sat next to me waiting so patiently, playing with her Leapster, an elderly gentleman commented on her personal device, “What is that?”, “Is she learning Algebra on that thing?”  His comments were lighthearted. Unfortunately he paved the road for Mrs. Cantankerous across the waiting room.  She began telling everyone how kids today won’t be able to write or solve a math problem because of all these machines etc.  I started to get miffed.  During a lull in her sermon, I replied, “You know they thought Rock n Roll would destroy us and it hasn’t, all generations adapt.”  She replied, “Well you can’t even understand rock n roll today, it doesn’t make any sense!”  I rebutted, “They said Elvis Presley didn’t make any sense and condoned him – everyone survived Elvis.”  She continued, “We’ll at least you could understand Elvis Presley.”  Thankfully a very nice woman chimed in, “We’ll I just think it’s wonderful what kids learn on those machines.” 

There was no other generational representation in that waiting room.  Everyone had me beat by at least 3 decades. 

The truth is every generation adapts and the one before scratches their head wondering if they will.  The other truth is when I visit the doctor I have a sign on my forehead that reads,”complain to me!” 

9 comments:

  1. You are so funny TV! I am sure it was not so funny at the doctor's office, and good for you for speaking up. I am not sure why people always have to make a comment where no one wants one. You are right about each generation adapting. I wish people would just mind their own business. I hope you are well! Have a great weekend!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to chuckle when I read this post too. My grandmother and great aunt were very much like that woman in the doctor's office. My mom is slowly becoming that person too. I think fear is what mostly drives these comments. Even though my mom isn't quite 70 yet, she hasn't taken the time to learn how to navigate the internet. She has a cell phone, but never uses it, and here's this society around her that's become glued to these devices. You're absolutely right...each generation does adapt. I'm sorry you and your sweet little girl had to become the catalyst for this woman's fear and her outspoken comments. Hopefully your next doctor's visit will be more lighthearted :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, generations do adapt, but the older lady probably was focused on the percentage of parents who are not intentional about teaching and properly interacting with their children. I think parents are key to utilize the best of all worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys have lots of fun !!!
    Your baby is so cute... specially her eyes are big and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, people and their big mouths, huh?? Way to speak up for yourself and your daughter!

    have a great week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just stopped by to say hi! I hope you are doing great TV! Thank you again for all your kindness! Have a great day!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny, I don't know what a Leapster is :). Didn't know what an iPod really was until I read a book about Steve Jobs in December. My kids had offered to buy me one for Christmas but I said "no." After reading the book I said, "Ok, I changed my mind." So one of my daugthers sold me her one, and I love it. Many of these new gadgets and machines turn out to be pretty interesting, even after I've resisted them for years.

    Don't know why age makes some people think they can pass judgment on other people, and be so vocal about it. That used to bother my wife when our kids were young. All you can do is what you are doing ... keep on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha, don't you just love "unsolicited advice/commentary"? I mean it's my favorrrittteeee...NOT. My big thing has always been "if I want your opinion, I'll ask for it." But I guess it's just a reflection of a different personality, not necessarily a different generation, at least in my opinion :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hehehe, and I thought I was surrounded by difficult people. Glad to know you are able to defend yourself though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - it's appreciated!