Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Direction of a Conversation

If the strength of a relationship is based on connection then there is no better indicator of that strength than conversation.  We are connected or disconnected by what we say and what we don’t say.

Recently I had a few conversations where I wondered if my words were interpreted accurately. Honestly some days I’m better at communicating than other days.  Some days the direction of a conversation stays on track and other times they nearly fall off a cliff.  Some days I seek clarification to ensure my words were perceived as I intended and other days I just let them hang out there.

The fact is a friendships value is all based on whether someone appreciates our words and actions.  And it doesn’t matter the duration of the friendship; we are only as good as our last conversation. 

How are you with directing a conversation?

7 comments:

  1. Conversations ideally reflect an equal exchange. Where they do not, I politely withdraw from them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think sometimes it's hard. Because silence can be a good thing if you don't necessarily agree or are refraining from saying something not nice. But there's always a fine line and need for balance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes find this hard or forced with certain people and that is how I separate true friendships from others. The true friendships and solid friendships, the conversations flow like crazy, no room for silence! I feel the same with my husband and family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, that first paragraph is so full of meaning, I love it! This is so true especially for someone like me who values communication and just being able to explore my thoughts and the hundred or so directions they take. And I find that the more genuine the connection, the more freely I feel to just explore my thoughts regardless of where they go...from shallow to deep and then back. Suffice it to say that I don't find too many people I genuinely enjoy conversing with. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like what the first commenter said about an equal exchange. There are some people I have to just be polite to, but it's not a conversation since that person is only interested in themselves!

    But some times, especially with my closest of friends, I just want to sit and listen to them; I won't have too much to say, but I want to hear about their thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that a true friendship is a give and take. For the relationship to get stronger and grow there needs to be an appreciation and respect from both people. There should be a balance. I hope you are doing well my friend. Have a great night!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes conversation...and hoping your words mean what they intend. I am working on starting my own business, and I've been doing a lot of "cold calling" lately to see if anyone might be interested in a book I recently self-published. I'm learning that I'm not very good at expressing myself, particularly over the phone, and I have to be a little more self-assured and practiced to get people to think I'm both intelligent and sincere. Unfortunately, right now, I sound a little to unrehearsed and unsure of myself... I think it's much easier to have conversations with friends that know and love you for who you are then to have ones with coworkers, acquaintances, and complete strangers...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - it's appreciated!