Sunday, July 22, 2012

Passion vs Money?

Lately I’ve been reading about unique leaders.  Of most notability is Steve Jobs.  Jobs was a complete shark when it came to the ‘deal’, but he also had this intense passion to make really great products. 

A friend that is helping illustrate my children’s book turned me onto Seth Godin.  Seth has a heartfelt passion to make great books and then present them to the public using innovative marketing strategies. 

These guys had passion first and foremost and if they were innovative enough they made money – some more than others.

Of course there are countless other examples but so many of us in the blogging world are creating ways to expand our resumes, fulfill our dreams and possibly earn a little mula.  It’s important for all of us to be reminded that passion can go a long way.

My passion for the past 1.5 years has been to publish my children’s picture book.  It’s being illustrated as we speak/type/read. I’m excited to show it to you all in the coming months.

How about you – do you have a passion to make your dreams happen or are you driven by money? 

6 comments:

  1. I've always struggled with these two: passion and money. I always felt that my passions are bound to leave me penniless, whereas those that can make me make money are things I am bound to not enjoy at all. I'm still trying to find a good balance. As for you, my friend, I am truly excited! For years I've been toying with the idea of coming up with a children's book 'with a twist'. I'm glad you've taken the plunge. Maybe I can ask for advice eventually? ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are almost there girl! I can't wait until your hard work pays off :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you, first and foremost! Secondly, I'm struggling with this lately because a lot of people are saying "follow the money" but a dream opportunity has presented itself, so I feel torn because money does NOT buy happiness. I know what I'll do ultimately, but it still can be frustrating when the thought of more money nags in the back of your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally driven by passion. But besides that - I AM SOOOO excited for you. This is HUGE. I can see it now... we can say we knew you WHEN. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been struggling with this a lot lately. I just finished writing a book to help teens plan for college. If I really want to go after my passion and market my book, I would need to quit my full-time job and make it happen but instead I'm afraid of losing my income right now. Ugh! I wish you much success TV. I'm so glad your dreams are being realized. I haven't seen the book yet, but I'll happily be your first customer. We'd love to get a wonderful children's book signed by you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome job going for what you are passionate about...nothing better than that! can't wait to see...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - it's appreciated!