Monday, July 16, 2012

The Power of Suggestion

I am a typical adult learner.  It takes me 7+ times for something new to stick in my brain and sometimes that isn’t even enough. 

Oddly the very things that I perk up and quickly retain are things I didn’t even know I wanted or needed to hear. Let’s call it Power of Suggestion, typically found during the course of casual conversation.  Naturally it’s when friends or family are discussing their own challenges, struggles and successes when a wave of realization hits me.  I needed to hear this – it actually applies to me too. 

Then another realization hits me – if these same people had told me directly that I need to do this or that perhaps I would not have been as receptive.   

Suggestion is powerful, agreed?

9 comments:

  1. "Suggestion is powerful, agreed?"

    Yes, now that you mention it...yikes! Enjoyable post, and instructive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the kind of person who can hear something and it will ring a bell and remind me of something - from the past, I need to do, etc. I think the power of suggestion can be a very powerful thing. I hope you are doing great! Little Chick chose her crab names. Sassy was a characteer (a cat) that she had seen in a movie. And they are very easy to care for. With two dogs, two cats and two fish, I needed something that would not add more work. :) Have a great day!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how do you like that new word I created? Characteer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the same way. Unfortunately, if people tell me something directly, I'm more apt to do the OPPOSITE of what they want me to do. Does that make sense?

    Also, when I click "TV's Take" (your blog name) from the email, it brings me to your Google+ profile, but you don't have a link to your blog in your profile :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true...so true...b/c sometimes it is easier to take in suggestion than just point blank!

    ReplyDelete
  6. true. I think when people tell you do to or not to do something, we tend to steer toward the opposite! yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree. Fabulous post, love! If you get a sec, I'd love to hear your thoughts on my latest outfit. xo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try to use the power of suggestion with my little boy all the time. Sometimes it works :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - it's appreciated!