Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Peer Pressure vs Conformity?

I’m going to say it, I think there are times peer pressure can be a good thing. 

Evidence: KLV does something new and fun because her other 3-4 year old friends are doing it.  She doesn’t want to be left out of the fun so she forces herself to let go of her fears.  This is a good thing.

Peer pressure among adult friends can also be good.  Watching friends go after their dreams, watching them get fit, witnessing their transformation into a wise calm being – these are all examples of seemingly positive peer pressures. 

But does this behavior make us conformists?  Do we do these things to be like everyone else or does their behavior simply inspires us? 

With that, I’ll leave you with this quote from John Allston, “If you don't control your mind, someone else will.”


Sweet KLV finally letting herself have face paint

5 comments:

  1. This is a tough one. But would you say that going after your dreams is conforming? Because I wouldn't. I guess it just depends on what your friends are doing that you start doing. Because if you start taking yoga just because everyone else is, but don't enjoy it, then I think that's conforming. (I actually enjoy doing yoga, but thought I would hate it lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Since Lewie's been going to preschool, I see he's been learning a lot quicker. In some cases, he challenges himself to be up to par with the other kids...for example, he's now fully potty trained--no more accidents. He also knows his numbers and letters very well. Still, there are other times when he says things like "Fat, poopy head." I know he's been learning some of these phrases from other kids at school. In that way, I wish he wouldn't conform. I've always been attracted to people who I find inspirational because I do want to be like them...I don't think it's a bad thing at all. Who knows? Maybe one day, I'll be an inspiration to someone too? How's your book coming TV? (Never give up!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good question, does positive peer pressure make us conformists. It can, but I don't think it has to. That is part of what mentoring is about - showing a positive example for someone to follow, and hopefully, shaping a positive character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that it is not always conforming, but being inspired by others to do something different. That is great that KLV gets "inspired" from to time to time and faces some of her fears. I hope you are doing well TV! Have a great day!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. this can be negative and positive. My oldest son, who is very shy will be stuck in his shell, friends will be doing something fun and he'll do it because they are. It is SO hard to have him initiate things, but if his friends do it with him, he's in! This can also be a negative trait, so I'll keep a CLOSE eye on his friends and who he chooses to "follow" at times...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - it's appreciated!