Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Automatic Pilot

I read somewhere that some psychologists believe 95% of our behaviors are unconscious and automatic...more commonly known as habits. 

If this is indeed even partially true; it’s no wonder so many people have the same relationship disagreements, the same battles with weight, and the same monetary problems. 

So I wonder how well do we see ourselves?  And if the answer isn’t very well then how do we learn to see ourselves through an unbiased reflection? 

For me it’s humility.  It wasn’t until I entered my 30’s and experienced a little too much turmoil, that I started to realize; I’m not always right.  Darn It! 

I’m no longer on automatic pilot, but every once in a while I fall asleep at the wheel. 

What’s your status; are you living with your eyes wide open or cruising through it all?

6 comments:

  1. Interesting! Well, definitely eyes more open due to the circumstances in our lives and I completely agree with you...humility is the key. Being aware of my own faults is how I keep my marriage going in this crappy season....keeps me from wanting to point more fingers than I ought. You come up with the best food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have wondered about this and asked myself if I am more than a collection of habits, which always leads to a collection of guesses, so the answer is yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a really high percent. It explains a lot. I guess that is why it can be so difficult to "change" things we may not like or want to improve. And that really explains why we can not change others. I hope you are well my friend! Have a great day!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say right now with a newborn and toddler I'm in autopilot LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it possible to be half open? lol I'm not sure where I fall because I'm constantly trying to improve who I am as a person and grow (hence constantly choosing self help books to read). I guess I go through phases though of auto pilot versus eyes wide open.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm half on autopilot and half with my eyes open... I definitely do find myself with the same habits (no matter how many New Year's resolutions go by). Every now and then I surprise myself, and that's when I realize that I am capable of changing my course. I think my problem is that I want to change all my habits at once. Maybe it's better to focus on one at a time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - it's appreciated!