Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Completion

When I was a kid and had completed the daily dishes, my Mom would say, “if you don’t wipe out the sink after you’ve done the dishes you might as well not have done them at all”, then she’d make me go wipe out the sink.

Having five kids, she knew a thing or two about keeping a home.  Aside from the dread of hearing her above referenced words, she had a point.  Today with so many of us rushing, around it’s hard to do anything really well or really complete. 

I see people (myself included) do stuff half way through all the time.  Examples: Health, Marriage, Parenting, Work, Friendships and yes keeping a home.  Of course it’s impossible to complete everything all the time.  However are our schedules keeping us from doing anything well?  Are we feeling satisfied with any of our output?  Do we focus on only doing the stuff we want and ignore the stuff we don't want to do?  Or the adverse, do we do only complete the stuff we have to and never the stuff we want to?  Could this be a main reason so many have such unrest? 

 
Note: Present day-I wipe out the sink about 50% of the time but my mom was right because the sink looks so much better clean. 

Note 2x: my new motto, "Be Happy To Be", comes in quite handy on this topic of completion.

9 comments:

  1. My least favorite housekeeping task is cleaning the sink. I do it once a week unless I can talk my husband into it. His least favorite task is shaking the dog hair out of our rugs. He has only done it once ever. You are right though many things I only do half way through and end up having to revisit them again later.

    I'm working on improving in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we are all running around so much that so much is missed and lost. I am exhausted all the time from trying to get everything done. Bring somewhat of a perfectionist makes it even more tiring. I hope all is well my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we are all running around so much that so much is missed and lost. I am exhausted all the time from trying to get everything done. Bring somewhat of a perfectionist makes it even more tiring. I hope all is well my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always felt wiping the sink or finishing projects to clear a workbench is somewhat metaphorical, inviting the future. There seems to be a general meaning to it --readiness, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah...completion. I think I knew this word well a long time ago before I had a family... Now, it seems like everyday brings constant interruptions, and time is never on my side. I have a stack of bills waiting to get paid, a number of neglected household chores, a photo album that needs to be finished, a blog that needs a new post, emails and phone calls that need to be returned... I try to make a list of goals each morning, but I never get everything done on my list, and so I'm forced to prioritize and sometimes...cut corners! Your mom is right! If you're going to do something, it needs to be done well; it needs to be completed. In the end, completing something does bring some sanity and even a little sense of accomplishment--something we all need to feel when time slips away from us :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel this way all the time...that nothing is completed to its fullest or best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the only thing that feels completed fully or best is with certain work tasks, otherwise, I think nothing really feels like it's done at its best... Like I've noticed that I'm not taking care of myself (feeding my body with healthy choices) like I should be. And I'm not giving Louie (yes, the dog) the attention that he needs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just stopping in to say hello. I hope all is going well with your book venture :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. seems like most days I'm trying to simply keep up and it's an uphill battle...never finished!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - it's appreciated!