Friday, October 16, 2015

Are You Brave Enough?


“Live as if you were to die tomorrow” Mahatma Gandhi

I recently read an article, on some on-line publication I cannot recall, about how so many of us take tomorrow for granted.  Two of my immediate family members have died in accidents that killed them instantly.  With these two experiences you would think I would take tomorrow a little less for granted.  You’d also think I wouldn’t need to read any more articles on living today to the fullest but apparently I do. Perhaps I wasn’t really paying attention as I read them.

Truthfully, I don’t want to think too much about my last days.  Questions like; did I see everything, say everything, experience everything, can haunt a person.  Or maybe the real truth is, I’ve been on autopilot.  Life’s been happening to me a little more than I’d like to admit.  So now the question, am I brave enough to live the life I want?  Are you?

2 comments:

  1. Am I brave enough? That is a question demanding a different answer every day, sometimes every moment. My courage varies by how much I worry --about my children, now adults, scattered over the planet, and their children in this strange future. I have no answer. I do, however, respect the Gandhi quote and have a favorite: when asked by a reporter what he thought of Western Civilization, he replied "I think it would be a very good idea." We can try to repair the future with humor, kindness and love --and peace, which begins with settling within. Takes courage, which you have in abundance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well-said, Tesha, as always. I read this recently: "Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity"--Simone Weil. I'm trying to pay more attention, too, and be in the present moment. :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by - it's appreciated!